Monday, August 9, 2010

Curries a plenty


So I began to watch the Cooking Channel with a chef named Bai or Bal... anyways, she makes Indian cuisine and everything on there makes me salivate. I've watched other cooking shows and liked maybe 50% of the food but so far I'm at 100%.

I've yet to make any of her recipes, but her show, my love for Indian food, and the need to try chickpea/chana/besan/gram flour due to my gluten intolerance, encouraged me to go to the India Sweets and Spices about 30 min. away. Had their tasty veggie curries (and some wheat bread which I am paying for) and bought requisive spices and gram flour.

Today I made aloo mater (potato pea curry) from a recipe and it went ok, it was good but I've had better. But I was glad for a first try, it was good! My husband had smoked chicken and made a kind-of tikki masala using tomato, onion, chicken, various curry powders, chili, ginger, and made a gravy of yogurt, water, and gram flour to thicken and it was gooood. I had to take a photo of my tasty meal!

I think I could live off Indian food and this is not a pregnancy craving. Back in college I went to our local Indian restaurant at least once a week, often three or four times!