
Yes...this looks like something the dog dragged in and vomited up....now doesn't that get your appetite going? When plated it looks better. And tastes nothing like dog vomit. I promise you. It was all people could talk about and everyone had to have the recipe.
I attended a potluck and thus had to make something. As a mom to an infant there's no time to cook but this was easy and a total hit.
Ingredients:
3 cans organic black beans, drained
1/2 box liquid chicken stock (i.e. swansons, kitchen basics, etc....so that's 8 or 16 oz, I don't recall. Iused some random organic brand.)
pinch sea salt, white pepper, smoked paprika
1 diced organic Spanish onion
ham hock or ham shank bone w/some meat attached. (Wish I could find organic)
teaspoon (heaping) minced fresh garlic
2 bay leaves
add all to a crockpot and cook that sucker on high until the meat falls from the bone (then just make sure you have porky shreds and bites not one big chunk. A knife or fork may come in handy) . You may have to add more liquid or ladle some out as you want beans- not soup, not bean log but beans. When I made it, I cooked it on high 4 hrs and ran out of time so I popped it in the over, 320 f, 30 min. The meat still wasn't fall off the bone but I was late to the potluck so I put in my car and went. Hence the cook till done, no time given recipe.
They don't look pretty but they taste good!
You can garnish with any of the following, cilantro, oregano, pico de gallo, salsa, cheese, rice.