Did I happen to mention I love smoked fish?
My dad's best friend used to go down to Mexico and catch albacore, and then smoke it over coals along the beach, slap it onto some dry ice, and speed home. My dad and I coveted whatever chunk of fish he would kindly give to us, especially because my mom refused to have anything to do with any sort of fish. It wasn't allowed in the house.
t remember on a puddle-juper flight from Zurich to Munich, the stewardess doled out little rolls with smoked salmon inside and some form of soft cheese. I hate airplane food- I mean who doesn't? But I still think of the tasty little "sandwich" I had. And I don't like sandwiches. I
remember going to Newport Beach, a few hours away if there were traffic, to get smoked albacore with my friend Amber (at hungry mountaineer.com).
I remember getting lost in Budapest and coming upon some fancy restaurant-hotel, with linen napkins and baroque designs which served a fish soup (plus other sides) for the equivalent of $7; it was one of the bets meals I've ever had and I still try and figure out what it was and where I got it, to no avail.
I bought my husband a smoker for Christmas and needless to say... I commandeered it. He's ok with that, as he gets fed. So probably twice a month, I smoke salmon. Just like Forrest Gump, we do everything salmon, but being gluten-free restricts my options.
That's when I remembered the fish soup in Budapest, and my love for clam chowder. So I went on a google quest and found a recipe (or nine) for Cullen Skink, a silly word for smoked fish chowder, hailing from Scotland.
I have ancestors in Scotland, I thought, so heck I can make it.
I haven't a clue how authentic my recipe is, but it tastes damned good.
All measurements are a guestimate.
1 lb potatoes
salt, pepper, thyme, dill (pinch of each); 1 bay leaf
salt to taste
butter- 2 tbsp
2/3 c cream or half and half
2 c whole milk
splash of chicken broth
1/2 lb or so home-smoked salmon (the store-bought stuff is too slimy)
1 yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, sliced
handful fresh parsley, chopped
Boil about a pound of peeled, cubed potatoes (about 1/2 - 1" cubes) for about ten minutes, drain, set aside.
Melt butter in a soup pot and saute onions until translucent, add garlic and all herbs, sauté an additional minute or two.
Add in potatoes.
Add splash of chicken broth, stir gently.
Add in milk and cream.
Chop up the salmon and add it in the pot.
cook slowly until milk is hot but not boiling, keep at nearly-boiling for 5 minutes.
Serves 4 or so. It would probably be killer with some sourdough, but begin gluten-free...yeah...well even without, it was good.
Now if only I could find that Hungarian Fish Soup.
![]() |
| Cullen Skink. My smaller pot was dirty hence the oversized pot. |
