Looks more complicated than it is. Wish I had a photo, oh well.
half bag organic baby carrots, steamed till soft but not too soft. (I used the microwave, stovetop is fine too).
1 large onion (I used brown) chopped, with a portion a bit over thumb sized, minced. (set aside the minced part.)
1 tbsp oilve oil or olive oil/veg oil mix
1 lb ground beef, lean-ness of your choice
fresh herbs, I used 4 sprigs thyme about the size of my pinky, and one of rosemary, and chopped them.
salt/pepper to taste
1 tsp or more, to taste, garlic powder
2 tbsp ap flour (can use gluten free)
1 tbsp ketchup
3/4 c beef broth
handful frozen pea
instant potatoes- enough to make 5-7 servings follow box instructions, ingredient, etc but add to it, 1/4 c shredded cheddar and the minced onion.
Saute onion and herbs, set aside, add to pan the beef and garlic powder, brown. Drain excess oil. Add flour and a scant amount of browth slowly to make a thick roux covering the beef. Add ketchup, continue to cook and add more broth if it gets too sticky (you want it stuck more to the beef than the pan.) add remaining broth and onions back in, and add peas.
oh! A bay leaf is optional but I didn't use it the first time I made this.
Make your carrots, and then mash, set aside.
Same for the potatoes if not done already.
to a pyrex/baking dish, which you may wish to lightly grease using non stick spray, add beef mix. Add atop that the carrots and then the mashed potatoes. (You can use real potatoes too...as a mom, I like shortcuts as long as it tastes good!). Top with a teeny bit of butter.
Bake 20 min or until potatoes take on a slight gold color.