Saturday, September 25, 2010

Gardening (and GF) delights in another state

Gluten Free and Gardening with ease....two neat things about Illinois.

Illinois has GF pizza parlors, and a decent sized section of GF goods in the grocery store! I wish my state would follow suit!

And Illinois.... what a marvel for gardening! The soil is naturally like potting soil, dark rich and soft. No need to pick-axe clay-meets-ground rock soil, no need to add nutritious soil, oh no!
And no need to water....there are lawns, meadows, gardens all over that...get this... get watered from nature through this neat thing called rain.

Wondering around for no apparent reason other than that's our kind of travel, we pondered upon a farmer's market. We bought locally grown sweet corn, organic tomatoes, and potatoes. Their farmer's market had meat dealers with freezer chests full of organic local meats; wish our farmer's market had such things.

The tomatoes were sweet, the potatoes more earthy, and the corn sweet and not very kernel-y. I think finding this market was a highlight; if I can find a farmers market every time I travel I will be a happy gal.