Thursday, June 23, 2011

baby food

I started with good intentions to NEVER buy jarred baby food. Then I compromised with buying only organic and making what I can homemade. Bananas don't store well once pureed so I buy those, and butternut squash since I've yet to find organic. I puree my own avocado, peaches, swet potatoes, carrots. I tried meat. If you puree boiled chicken it makes a cool meat powder! I dunno if my little guy will like it but the dr. said he needs to gain some weight so...
here's the recipe...
I boiled 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast in water but added to the water 10 baby carrots, 1/2 quartered small onion (yellow I think), an inch long sprig of rosemary as well as thyme and parsley. Boiled it for an hour- longer than one normally does but with a baby...you get side tracked. I cooled it off and then patted the chicken dry and put it in the magic bullet to make meat powder. Then I pureed the carrots and broth, tossed out the onion and spices since he's still new to food. Mixed together and froze in cubes.