Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Tomato soup


Being gluten free and now, for the next 6 months, milk free (son is lactose intolerance and it passes through breast milk) and stuck at home for a week without my master chef husband... I have to make my own food. So today's experiment- yet un-tasted but it smells good, is a low fat tomato soup....

28 oz can chopped tomatoes
1-2 clove garlic chopped/minced
1 onion (whatever kind you want)
salt and pepper to taste
2 sprigs thyme /to taste
sprinkle of red pepper flakes
1/2 c veggie broth
1 tbsp olive oil
Heat oven to 400. Reserve canned tomato juice. Quarter the onions and de-spring the thyme. Mix everything but the oil, broth, juice in a bowl then add some oil, reserving a little bit to coat a brownie pan or similar dish. Bake about 30 min until onions carmelize. (I had a crying baby so...mine were a shade shy of carmelizing) . let cool a bit and blend in a blender with the broth and juice- bled chunky or smooth, you choose. Heat and eat.

I hope I like it...I'm picky about tomato soup as it too often just tastes like runny ketchup verses more what I want, a pasta-sauce kind of flavor.

Update: nom nom nom, I ended up using a bit more broth and some would like even more broth. I blended till semi-chunky as I don't like my tomato soup like a bloody mary consistency. Yum yum nom nom and then I added a size of zucchini fried with onion, a slice of bacon , salt, pepper, evoo. I could have eaten this meal 5 times over and then some!